3 Ways Nonprofits Can Use Ecommerce
Nonprofit organizations have always relied on donations and grants to fuel their mission. However, with the rise of e-commerce, there is an opportunity for nonprofits to increase their revenue and expand their reach. By leveraging e-commerce, nonprofits can sell products, accept donations online, and engage with their audience in new ways.
Explore the top three things your nonprofit can do to benefit from e-commerce.
1. Boost Donations by Offering an ‘Add to Cart’ Donation Option
An ‘Add to Cart’ donation option on your website is one of the easiest ways for your nonprofit to benefit from e-commerce. This option can be added to your existing donation page, allowing visitors to select the amount they want to donate and add it to their cart.
By creating this option, your nonprofit will:
- Offer your donors a seamless and familiar checkout process, much like buying a product online.
- Increase the likelihood of someone making a donation, as it removes the barrier of having to navigate to a separate donation page.
- Allow donors to see the impact of their donation in real-time, which can further incentivize them to engage with your organization and donate more.
2. Use E-commerce Platforms to Sell Merch
Selling merchandise online is another way your nonprofit may find e-commerce beneficial.
Merchandise can range from t-shirts and hats to stickers and coffee mugs. This approach can be particularly effective for nonprofits that have a strong and engaged following.
By offering branded merchandise, your nonprofit will:
- Create an additional revenue stream
- Promote your brand
- Raise awareness for your cause
- Create opportunities for supporters to become brand ambassadors
Nonprofits can use platforms such as Shopify, WooCommerce, or Squarespace to set up their online store, manage inventory, and process orders.
3. Use Shopify for a Host of Benefits
Shopify is a popular e-commerce platform offering a host of features specifically tailored to nonprofits. In addition to the standard e-commerce features, Shopify has a dedicated nonprofit program that offers discounted rates and specialized tools.
Nonprofits can use Shopify to:
- Manage inventory
- Fulfill orders
- Track sales data
For example, your nonprofit can use Shopify’s donation button to accept donations directly from your website, or you can create custom donation pages that align with your branding and mission. Furthermore, Shopify allows nonprofits to track donor information and create targeted email campaigns, which can help with donor retention and engagement. Shopify also integrates with popular payment gateways, such as PayPal and Stripe, making it easy to accept donations and process orders.
Leverage the Power of E-commerce Today
E-commerce presents an opportunity for your nonprofit to increase revenue, expand reach, and engage with your audiences in new ways. By embracing e-commerce, you can future-proof your organization by adapting to changing consumer habits.
Whether you would like to launch your e-commerce business or take it to the next level, our marketing experts are ready to help you achieve your goals and leverage the power of e-commerce.